Lending

Succulents warning after poisonous Euphorbia plant causes horrible injuries to dog

Disclaimer: This story contains an image that some readers may find distressing

Pet owners are cautioned to be vigilant of a variety of popular plants which can be poisonous and dangerous.

The sap of the Euphorbia succulent plant family is poisonous if ingested and can cause burns and irritation to the touch.

Succulents are incredibly sought after in Australia because of their ability to grow and thrive even under the most difficult conditions.

Popular varieties of euphorbias include the Fire Stick and Crown of Thorn plants, available at Bunnings and most nurseries.

But now Australians are being warned against this common species of succulents due to its toxicity.

This dog suffered terrible burns from the contact of his skin with the sap of this succulent Euphorbia. Credit: Pet Services of Sal / Facebook

Posting on Facebook, a Queensland animal page shared photos of the damage Euphorbia succulents can do to a dog.

The pictures show the black dog with a large burn down its back, which can occur when the sap from a Euphorbia plant comes in contact with the fur and skin.

“With succulents becoming more and more popular in our gardens, please be aware of how toxic some can be,” Sal’s Pet Services wrote on Facebook.

“One of the most famous poisonous succulents is the Euphorbia family.

“The plant has many common names: Fire Stick Plants, Indian Tree Spurge, Naked Lady, Pencil Tree, Rubber-Hedge, Sticks on Fire or Milk Bush.

File image of a Euphorbia succulent, which is poisonous to dogs and cats.
File image of a Euphorbia succulent, which is poisonous to dogs and cats. Credit: sky moon13/Getty Images / iStockphoto

“Although this is a hardy and attractive plant, it comes with a warning.

“The sap of this plant is extremely toxic if ingested and will cause burns or irritation if it comes in contact with the skin or eyes.

“It is not recommended to be planted where children or pets will encounter it, and away from paths where it could be grazed.”

The popular crown of thorns belongs to the Euphorbia family of succulents.
The popular crown of thorns belongs to the Euphorbia family of succulents. Credit: Bunnings

There have been documented cases of dogs getting sick from touching or eating Euphorbia plants, with a small puppy almost dying from burns to the mouth and throat.

“It’s a growing problem when pets are left alone in homes where poisonous succulents now reside in place of traditional houseplants,” said Maureen Gilmer, gardening expert. The desert sun.

Pet owners have been advised to Google the botanical name of any succulent they wish to purchase to ensure they are safe before purchasing.

“I have several varieties of Euphorbia growing in my house, but I don’t touch the sap,” said one avid gardener.

“I wear safety glasses and gloves when I garden near them and my dogs don’t eat them or roll around among them.

“Be reasonable and learn more about euphorbias or don’t understand them.”

Comment here

placeholder="Your Comment">