Director of design and production
Baseball America is looking for a motivated, organized and collaborative Graphic Designer to help produce its monthly magazine and annual book titles and ensure that advertisements meet print specifications. The design and production manager should have a good eye for page design, color photography, and general details. The Director will work with the editorial staff to meet the high standards set by BA as it enters its 42nd year of printing.
The manager will work with the printers to obtain the best production rates and times. They will also help facilitate the production of the monthly electronic edition of the magazine for the BA application.
To apply, send a CV and examples of your work to Editor-in-Chief JJ Cooper at [email protected] Please include the Design and Production Manager in the subject line.
- Generate clear ideas and concepts in tandem with the editor and editor.
- Take the work from concept to final execution on time.
- Liaison with printing / distribution suppliers.
- Monthly print order and annual print orders throughout the book season.
- Monthly issue including updates to each issue page plan, magazine layout and template creation, creation of InCopy files / content for editors, photo editing, photo placement, formatting text / production work, sending digital updates and visualizing the issue through print production.
Requirements / Preferences
- Professional experience as an artistic director. Ideally several years of experience in an artistic / creative director role.
- Relevant education or training. BFA in graphic design preferred. Demonstrated graphic design skills with a strong portfolio.
- Hands-on experience with logo design, typography, color theory, layout design, print production, image retouching / editing, and web graphics.
- A rock star with InDesign, InCopy, Photoshop and Illustrator, especially InDesign.
- Integrate feedback and take / give direction well.
- Team player with strong communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Precision and attention to detail.
This is a full time position with fringe benefits. Baseball America is based in Durham, NC, but the move is not necessary.
Baseball America has been the authority on outlook, player development and the MLB Draft for 40 years.
2022 Blue Jays Top 10 Prospects Podcast
Ben Badler and Kyle Glaser break down the Blue Jays’ top 10 prospects, including Gabriel Moreno’s high potential, Nate Pearson and Jordan Groshans status, a potential draft steal and more.